While the world is focused on the London 2012 Olympics, I’ve been gearing up for a special celebration of my own. But of course, Moomin Day (ムーミンの日)! 9 August 2012 will mark the 8th annual Moomin Day in Japan, which will also be Tove Jansson’s 98th birthday.
Each year I’ve always used Moomin Day as an excuse to buy a few Moomin goods that I’ve had my eye on. This year will be no different (except that I seemed to have turned every day into Moomin Day), but I also plan to try my hand at a few Moominvalley delights. Fellow Moomin fans, how will you celebrate this day? Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Make something from Moomins Cookbook. I plan on making one of the fish pies.
- Plan an outing — Moomin-style! Refer to The Moomin Adventure Book for some great ideas.
- Learn more about the Moomins!
- Read one of your favourite Moomin comics or books.
- Start you own Moomin scrapbook. This will be an ongoing project for me.
- Have a Moomin tea party!
- If there isn’t a Moomin shop near you, have a look here for a list of some online shops that each carry a great selection of Moomin merchandise.
- Create your own Moomin comic here.
For more information on Moomin Day celebration events being held around Japan click here. If you need help navigating the site, please let me know and I’ll be happy to help you translate the bits that seem interesting to you!