The joys of travel not only include tasting local delights but also discovering new recipes that you can take home with you. In our case, whilst flipping through the December 2012 issue of Vegetarian Times we discovered a linguini with clam-free sauce recipe which I have tweaked a bit to suit our tastes and to serve 2 instead of 6 people.
- Cook pasta in boiling water according to package directions, add a dash of olive oil to prevent pasta from sticking. Drain.
- While pasta is cooking, soak arame in 60ml hot water.
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly (take care not to burn the garlic). Sauté mushrooms 5 minutes, adding up to 60ml water (if needed) to prevent sticking. Then add wine, and lemon juice and sauté for another minute.
- Add soy milk, nutritional yeast, margarine (if using), red pepper flakes, and arame with soaking liquid; season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Avoid drying out your sauce by turning the heat down when adding soy milk.
- Divide linguini among two plates; top with sauce; garnish with parsley (again, optional) and pine nuts and enjoy!